Saturday, October 6, 2012

"Forward into the Past" II, October 6, 2012

I found that not all of the participants are Unitarian Universalists.  We are a diverse group.  Tonight we heard about an amazing photographer and an exhibit at the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.  Carolyn Sherer joined us and talked about her photo exhibit called "Living in Limbo: Lesbian Families in the Deep South.  Carolyn talked about why this exhibit was so meaningful, especially taking place in the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.  She also had done an exhibit, "Just as I am " on Americans with Disabilities.  To start off our Pilgrimage with these interconnected civil rights struggles was powerful indeed. She gave us all a beautiful copy of the photos with text.  The exhibit will be traveling and I hope that many of you will be able to see it.  Carolyn asked that I link to their website which I'll try to do.  If I am unable to do it on my new tablet, go to www.livinginlimbo.org

We also began to get acquainted with one another, telling stories of the first time we were aware of racial differences in our small groups.  And we each received a photo of a Civil Rights Movement leader with a description of the person on the opposite side.  Some of us have died, others are living and will meet with us later in the week; some are with us on the tour the whole time.  I am Andrew Goodman who died in Philadelphia, Mississippi when he went to volunteer for Freedom Summer.  When we introduced ourselves, I heard about family members of those who died along with Andrew Goodman, Mickey Schwerner and James Chaney.  We may meet some of those family members this week who suffered such great and unimaginable loss.  Such an incredible journey.  Tomorrow, I hope to include some photos.                                                                      link to photo exhibit website we heard of tonight

No comments: