Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Staten Island Turkeys take to the North Shore

Photo: Staten island turkeys disappeared after sandy. Then i saw them spread out once before. Today these three nestled close to Lilly, our dog. It is good to see them make a comeback. They used to?  out at a hospital. Today they were near a little neighborhood park on the north shore

It is difficult to describe the New Year's elation at seeing three turkeys here on the North Shore of Staten Island.  There have been many articles in the paper over the past five years I've been here about Staten Island turkeys; concern for one vulnerable turkey or another--people's good will and care to see that turkey was ok.  Staten Island turkeys are a bit of an icon if you ask me.  They used to hang out near the door to the Heart Tower of Staten Island University Hospital North (which is ironically not on the North Shore). Occasionally I would see them outside a nursing home where one of our members resides.  I knew they spread out along the South Shore. People often got out of their cars or made a path toward the turkeys with their camera in tow.  Enter Hurricane Sandy and lots of people started mumbling, "where are the turkeys?  Did they die in the storm or just move elsewhere?"

I saw a flock of turkeys (I forgot what you call a group of turkeys) near Tastebuds on Hylan Boulevard about three weeks after Sandy destroyed so much of Staten Island's South Shore.  I was so glad to see them--a sign like the rainbow, of survival, of grace, of determination and perseverance, of nature realigning itself.  I shared that I had seen them with some others and everyone expressed delight about that little population of turkeys. Today's New Year's Day turkeys are yet another sign of hope for us here.  These turkeys are clearly in my neighborhood on the North Shore near a little neighborhood park.  They approached Lilly, my dog, and I as we walked an unusual path this morning.  They kept coming nearer and nearer until she barked at them a bit.  They gobbled and pretty much stayed where they were.  Later they just walked up this ramp outside a house.  We were on the sidewalk in front of that house.  A few minutes later, the male turkey preened his feathers and lay down. The females remained standing, nibbling at choice
leaves you can see here in the photo.  These turkeys were a gift of grace, resilience and a touch of mystery--somehow these turkeys pulled through and are looking for a new home. Maybe they were always here but I never saw them. They give me hope for the future, for our ability to recover and care for one another and extend our compassion to the animals that were also displaced and traumatized by Sandy.  It is a good sign that this New Year 2013 brings the return of the turkeys.  I am so glad they are here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For several years, until about 5-6 years ago, I used to see a rafter of turkeys* on Ward Ave near Nixon Ave early in the morning.
At that time, I often drove up Ward Ave around 8am, and saw the rafter pecking around on the lawns in that area. When my little red car slowly progressed along the street, the turkeys would stop, turn to face the car and display their tail feathers dramatically.
Then, it seemed that they all disappeared suddenly.

* That's the term for a group of gobblers, according to several sources.